Toasted Marshmallow Vanilla Bean Rice Krispie Treats – sticky & chewy vanilla bean rice krispie treats with a layer of toasted marshmallow in the center!
MMMMmmmMMM, can you feel it? That crunchy, chewy, sticky, stretchy, soft, fluffy (sick of the adjectives yet?) goodness of biting into a freshly made Rice Krispie treat? These toasted marshmallow vanilla bean Rice Krispie treats are one of my absolute favorite goodies!
As you guys might or might not know, Rice Krispie treats are one of my favorite desserts/snacks. If it were up to me, I’d have one of these sweeties every day. To bring these classic desserts to another level, I made them extra chewy by including twice the marshmallows, intense vanilla bean flavor, and a layer of slightly smoky toasted mini marshmallows.
Toasted marshmallows is another fave around here, (re: my toasted marshmallow macarons) and a quick way to toast a bunch at one time, is to pour a layer onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and placing it under your broiler for a few minutes. Make sure you watch it like a hawk, because after the initial 1 or 2 minutes, they burn quickly! Also, work fast with the marshmallows to avoid any of them hardening up. This could possibly happen if you toast the marshmallows a bit too long.
I normally like my marshmallows a bit on the really burnt side 😀 , but I was loving the level of toasted-ness here! I use just 1 total 16 ounce bag of mini marshmallows here, because lazily, I just didn’t want to break open another bag just for the middle layer. It’s totally fine though, because there should still be more than enough in the mixture to make it soft and chewy enough!
A constant that I do for all Rice Krispie treats I make is to put almost double the amount of marshmallows and butter in, putting 2 cups of the marshmallows in at the last minute, using mini marshmallows, and including extra extra vanilla flavor!
Using mini marshmallows makes it easier to pop them into the mix at the last minute to have extra stretchy and chewy treats. For these toasted marshmallow vanilla bean Rice Krispie treats in particular, they’re the perfect size for that fun layer of slightly crispy toasted marshmallow in between the soft and fluffy vanilla-packed Rice Krispie treats.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 (16 ounce) bag of mini marshmallows, set aside 2 cup(s) for later
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- Line a 9x9 inch pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray. Also, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and pour a layer of mini marshmallows on top. The marshmallows should be spread in a single, even layer.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the butter.
- Once the butter melts, stir in the mini marshmallows (setting aside 2 cups) and stir until the marshmallows are completely melted. Then, add in the vanilla extract and vanilla paste. Stir, then take off the heat.
- Stir in the Rice Krispies. Mix until incorporated, then add in the 2 cups of remaining mini marshmallows.
- Pour half the Rice Krispie mixture into your greased 9x9” pan and flatten slightly with a spatula sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Place your baking sheet with marshmallows under your broiler for a couple minutes, making sure to keep watch as they will burn quickly once they warm. Take it out once they are toasted to your liking.
- Working quickly, spread the toasted marshmallows on top of the half-layer of Rice Krispie treats.
- Then, pour the remaining Rice Krispie treat mixture on top and use the spatula to pat down.