Chocolate Caramel Rice Krispie Treats – extra gooey and chewy chocolate and caramel covered Rice Krispie treats loaded with extra marshmallows and vanilla!
Homemade Rice Krispies treats are one of my all-time favorite “desserts” – although let’s be real, a Rice Krispie treat is suitable snacking for any time of day – and I have no idea why. Well, obviously they’re unbelievably delicious but there’s something about that extra gooey, marshmallow-y, vanilla-packed sticky bar that just gets me every time.
For my extra gooey chocolate caramel Rice Krispie treats, I start with a recipe for extra marshmallow-y/AKA extra sticky Rice Krispies treats and top it off with a yummy chocolate + caramel mix.
It’s the extra marshmallow and butter that make this homemade version hit that OMG factor. The extra mini marshmallows added in at the end that are only 50% melted, which make the whole thing all the more chewy and awesome. I also like to add in some vanilla extract to up the vanilla flavor as well.
I relied on my ol’ faithful chocolate ganache recipe and swirl in a delicious and perfectly balanced salted caramel. Beware: these are not for the faint of heart ;), the chocolate and caramel won’t get everywhere, but you will definitely get your hands slightly messy. But, that’s okay, because you’ll be too distracted by eating your 4th chocolate caramel Rice Krispie treat you won’t even care!
These extra gooey chocolate caramel Rice Krispie treats are light, fluffy, gooey, and packed with flavor; not to mention, no-bake which makes it a great summertime sweet! 🙂
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 5 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 16 ounces of mini marshmallows, set aside 1 cup for later
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pats, room temperature
- ¼ heavy cream, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 oz chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Prepare a 9x9 inch pan with aluminum foil and then spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, stir in the mini marshmallows (besides the 1 cup) and salt.
- Stir until the marshmallows are entirely melted. Add in vanilla. Mix until incorporated. Remove from heat and stir in the Rice Krispies and remaining cup of mini marshmallows.
- Spray a rubber spatula with non-stick spray and pour the Rice Krispie mixture into the greased 9x9 inch pan. Use the spatula to press down into an even layer. Refrigerate.
- Add sugar to a saucepan over medium heat, and make sure the sugar is dispersed in an even layer on the bottom.
- Whisk it as it begins to melt if you have a gas stove, (if you have an induction stove, don’t stir too much as it can cause the sugar to seize)
- Stop whisking when the sugar has completely melted, but swirl the pan every so often.
- Once the sugar reaches an amber color, add the butter and whisk vigorously. (Don’t worry, it’s supposed to bubble up!)
- Remove the pan from the heat once all the butter has melted and slowly pour in your cream while still whisking vigorously.
- Keep whisking until all the cream has incorporated, then stir in the salt. You can refrigerate the sauce for up to 2 weeks. Heat it up slightly (5 second intervals in the microwave or in a warm water saucepan bath) using using again!
- Put chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- In a separate small microwaveable bowl, heat heavy cream in 10 second intervals, until it is warm.
- Pour over chocolate and let sit for about a minute to let chocolate soften.
- Add butter and stir until glossy.
Salted Caramel sauce slightly adapted from American Heritage Cooking!